Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Search engines

First search engine: bing.com -This is a general search engine. It shows images and trending news on homepage. Upon searching, shows images, wikipedia page, definition to the right and related searches and images. You can modify your search according to time (past 24 hours, past month). This search engine is useful in just about anything, it is very similar to Google, and user friendly.

 Search engine #2: wolphramalpha.com: This search engine seems to be a computational, algorithmic, math-based search engine. Home page has several picture links to random knowledge. Once search is initiated, pop-ups of fun facts appear, which is very entertaining. The one thing that I didn't like was that it makes assumptions (assumed a species of pitcher plant when I searched the term). Listed good amount of species information and taxonomy. On a social related search, full name, date of birth, height and weight, as well as genealogy was listed. This website shows related queries on the left, but none seemed related to my searches. I would utilize this search engine when looking up certain statistics on subjects/people. It didn't seem too handy on suggesting related topics, as the ones that were suggested to me were off-subject.

 #3: blogperfect.com -This is a search engine intended to search blogs: Homepage is simple, one image along the top…no customization. Searched for my blog…came up with nothing. Just a bunch of ads to click on and a listing for African Beauties and Top online dating along the left under “related links” tab. I do not recommend this site for anyone.

 #4: freebooksearch.net -This search engine searches both purchasable and free books: This is powered by google. Searched for my SED-555 book, and it was the first link listed. Showed an overview of contents, allowed me to “look inside”, showed eBook availability and vendors from which to buy. Also a large button “get print book” which led to a listing of vendors, prices and ratings…no way to filter price, but still helpful. Actually found a copy for $1.99 that is in "Acceptable condition". Works for me. I would definitely use this site for textbook/eBook/library searches.

 #5: omgili.net -This engine searches forums: seems alright, but when I searched secondary education, it highlighted each word separately and not together…came up with many unusable forums. This seems to be a good search engine for more social reasons (i.e. Why did my boyfriend break up with me; why is my mother so controlling).

 #6: indeed.com -jobs: jobs search engine…home page gives you a what and a where tab to search jobs. Searched high school science teacher in Mobile AL…came up with maintenance jobs for mobile county schools. searched teacher…came up with several job postings, including General Science teacher. So, just a little tweaking let me to the right area. I recommend this site for anyone looking for employment. Spend a few minutes familiarizing yourself with how to search and many job opportunities present themselves.

1 comment:

  1. "...s well as genealogy was listed." were, not was
    Google has a specialized blog search engine. It works. Google will also find your blog. I have emailed you a screenshot of my search.

    Ah…there are jobs to be had!

    Interesting selection.

    ReplyDelete